Allergy friendly morning tea? We’ve got you covered.
This cake is free from gluten, dairy, egg, nuts and soy
A few days ago Nicole came over for our weekly baking experiment session and we thought we try out a few fruit-based loaves that would be perfect for morning tea. The best of the batch was this little beauty – Apple and Date Loaf with Maple Glaze! Wow was it great. We had a few visitors who don’t usually like fruit in cake, but they are now converted and they had 2 slices each! We hope you love it too.
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour which you will receive when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile (plus you’ll receive more free recipes and tips!)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup organic caster sugar (or rapadura)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb soda ( baking soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup full cream coconut milk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated apple
- ½ cup chopped dates
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF)
- Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Peel and grate carrot and apple. Place to the side.
- In a large bowl combine gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom.
- In a separate bowl combine coconut milk, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry(or vice versa) and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in grated carrot, grated apple and chopped dates.
- Pour mixture into lined baking tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the cake bounces back when you gently touch it, or when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake until just warm and then turn onto a wire rack.
- Using a pastry brush, glaze the top of the cake with pure maple syrup.
A very generous offer for you
If you want more recipes like this check out our cookbook Let Them Eat Good Cake.
And if you’ve got this far in the recipe we want to reward you with a very special discount on our cookbook – for the first 20 people who use the code YESPLEASE at the checkout you will receive a remarkable 25% discount, but only for the first 20 people.