Allergy friendly morning tea? We’ve got you covered.
This cake is free from gluten, dairy, egg, nuts and soy
A few days ago Nicole came over for our weekly baking experiment session and we thought we try out a few fruit-based loaves that would be perfect for morning tea. The best of the batch was this little beauty – Apple and Date Loaf with Maple Glaze! Wow was it great. We had a few visitors who don’t usually like fruit in cake, but they are now converted and they had 2 slices each! We hope you love it too.
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour which you will receive when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile (plus you’ll receive more free recipes and tips!)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup organic caster sugar (or rapadura)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb soda ( baking soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup full cream coconut milk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated apple
- ½ cup chopped dates
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF)
- Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Peel and grate carrot and apple. Place to the side.
- In a large bowl combine gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom.
- In a separate bowl combine coconut milk, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry(or vice versa) and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in grated carrot, grated apple and chopped dates.
- Pour mixture into lined baking tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the cake bounces back when you gently touch it, or when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake until just warm and then turn onto a wire rack.
- Using a pastry brush, glaze the top of the cake with pure maple syrup.