Christmas Plum and Boysenberry Cake free from gluten, dairy, egg and nuts
Growing up in Hong Kong, Christmas was cold! Which meant that summer fruits were out. I’ve been in Australia for nine years now, and taking advantage of all our gorgeous summer fruits at Christmas time is a must!
And what better way than to put all that into a delicious cake free from gluten, egg, dairy and nuts?
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour to get a better result. You can get our gluten-free flour recipe free when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
So here’s our recipe for a Black Plum and Boysenberry upside down cake that’s really simple to make for your celebrations this Christmas.
- Three ripe black plums, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cups boysenberries, halved
- 1/4 cup dairy free margarine (nuttelex)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (we recommend our flour mix)
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2/3 cups caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup plus two tablespoons full-cream coconut milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease an 8 inch round cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Melt margarine and pour into the bottom of the cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over margarine. Layer the sliced plums over the brown sugar mixture, and add the boysenberries over the top evenly.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine coconut milk, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extra. Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Careful not to overmix the batter.
- Pour batter over the plum and boysenberry mixture in cake pan, and even out with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake bounces back to the touch or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest until cooled before placing a plate or board over the cake to turn it out.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Ps. if you don’t have boysenberries on hand try raspberries or blueberries instead.
This recipe is gluten free dairy free egg free and nut free