I first made this recipe as a muffin a couple of weeks ago, for a special day with a good friend. But something was missing. So as Corry and I often do when we bake, we threw around a few ideas. Today we decided to make it as a doughnut instead of a muffin, and the result was really really good.
We hope you enjoy making and eating them as much as we did!
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour. You can get our gluten-free flour recipe sent to you when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup organic caster sugar (or fine rapadura)
- 1 3/4 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup full cream coconut milk
- 50ml olive oil
- 50ml apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, quartered
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF)
- Lightly grease doughnut pan.
- Sift flour, xanthan gum, caster sugar, bicarb soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Carefully mix together using a whisk.
- Whisk together coconut milk, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract in another bowl.
- Slowly pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture (or vice versa) and whisk until just combined. Do to over mix.
- Using a spoon, evenly divide the mixture into the doughnut tray.
- Bake for 14 minutes until the doughnuts bounce back when carefully touched.
- Let the doughnuts rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the tray by carefully placing a butter knife in the side and gently lifting out.
- The mixture at the top may have risen over the hole so, while still warm, carefully cut the excess dough away and then place on a clean sheet of baking paper as they can be sticky.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Glaze by dipping the doughnuts into the icing mixture.
- 1 cup soft icing sugar mix
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp boiling water
- Add boiling water to the icing sugar, a little bit at a time, mixing carefully.
- Add more water until you have reached the pouring consistency (not too runny).
- Add in lemon juice and combine.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.