An allergy friendly afternoon tea.
We made Chocolate & Raspberry Friand the other day then brought them over to the White Flag office to share with our friend Paul Hanna.
Like all our recipes these little cakes are gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free, so they are good for most allergies.
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour. You can get our gluten-free flour recipe sent to you when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
Makes 8 large or 12 medium friands
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3/4 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (or cacao)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp organic caster sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup full cream coconut milk
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 – 1 cup of fresh raspberries (you choose the amount)
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF).
- Grease a friand baking tray.
- In a mixer mix the coconut milk and tofu.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut milk tofu mix and apple cider vinegar. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, olive oil and vanilla and whisk together until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, xanthan gum, cocoa, cornflour, bicarb soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry (or vice versa) and whisk together until smooth. Try not to over-mix otherwise the cake will become too starchy.
- Pour the mixture into the friand tray. Push a few raspberries into the mixture and place 1 on the top of each friand.
- If you are using a tray with a pattern on the bottom, there is no need to place the raspberries on top, as you will flip the cake over to serve.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Wait until the friands cool a little before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Top with icing sugar.
If you want more recipes like this check out our cookbook Let Them Eat Good Cake
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.