During Food Allergy Week in 2015 we thought we’d start the week off with a bang with this stunning chocolate bundt cake recipe. People went crazy for it. I think it’s because of the salted- choc combo, that’s always a winner.
This cake is free from gluten, dairy, egg, and nuts, and if ever there was a cake to prove that allergy friendly cakes can be just as good (if not better) than any other non-allergy free cake, then this is it! Yeah we’re biased, but this cake totally wins! But, please don’t take our word for it, make it yourself, then let us know if this is not the best allergy friendly chocolate cake you’ve ever had. We’d love to hear what you think.
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour. You can get our gluten-free flour recipe sent to you when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake w/ Salted Chocolate Ganache
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 3/4 teaspoon bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (or cacao)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 large bananas)
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF).
- Grease a large bundt cake tin.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, olive oil and vanilla and whisk until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In another bowl sift the flour, xanthan gum, cornstarch, cocoa (or cacao), bicarb soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry (or vice versa) and whisk together until smooth. Add the mashed banana. Try not to over-mix otherwise the cake will become too starchy.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a thin wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Wait till cake cools before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Make the salted chocolate ganache (below) and immediately pour over the cake
- Finish with salt flakes and serve
Note: Cakes usually rise more in the middle than the edges as the cake heats up from the side, making the side cook and set faster. This chocolate cake recipe tends to rise more in the middle than other cakes. So before turning the cake out onto the wire rack simply trim the top with a knife to even it up.
Salted Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup full cream coconut milk
- Salt flakes
- Fill a saucepan with a small to medium amount of water and place on a medium heat.
- Place a heatproof bowl over the pan, making sure it does not touch the water.
- Place chocolate chips and coconut milk in bowl and melt, stirring occasionally until chocolate and coconut milk has combined.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour over the cake
If you want more recipes like this check out our cookbook Let Them Eat Good Cake
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.