A gorgeous ice cream that is free from dairy, eggs, nuts & gluten
It’s summer here in Sydney and today we invited a few friends over for a quick snack before heading off to the beach for an afternoon swim. Rather than making cake or slice we thought it might be nice to make a batch of homemade ice cream instead – allergy free ice cream that is.
This ice cream is very simple to make and takes no time at all, and you don’t need expensive equipment either. We used our 20 year old food processor and a $100 ice cream machine. If you don’t have an ice cream machine that’s ok you can just use your food processor.
This ice cream is dairy free, gluten free, egg free and nut free.
- 500-600g of chopped frozen banana (you don’t need to be super accurate but at least 500g)
- 1 mandarin juiced (or 2 if you want a stronger mandarin flavour. we prefer 2)
- pinch of salt
- 300g of silken tofu
- 1 heaped tbsp of cocoa (or raw cacao – your choice)
- 1 tbsp of honey (taste it after mixing in all the ingredients and add another tbsp if you want it a little sweeter)
- 100g of chopped dairy free chocolate (we use Sweet William)
- Blend all the ingredients together (except the chopped chocolate) in a food processor until smooth
- Add in the chopped chocolate and mix for 30 seconds (you want the chocolate bits to be chunky)
- Place the mixture into an ice cream machine for 30 mins, then serve.
- We like to scoop the ice cream into serving dishes and then freeze for a further 10-20 minutes and then serve.
- If you don’t use an ice cream machine that’s fine, simply scoop the ice cream into serving dishes and then freeze for 20 minutes (or until nice and firm), then serve.
- If you freeze the ice cream for longer it will go pretty hard so before serving let it soften a little.
Note that for this recipe to work correctly the banana needs to be frozen
Makes 7 medium size ramekin dishes.
This recipe is gluten free dairy free egg free and nut free.