A gluten, dairy, egg and nut free Christmas treat
What we love most about baking is the same thing we love about Christmas – it gives us a reason to spend time sharing food with others.
Now with any of our cakes we suggest using our gluten-free flour. It really does make a huge difference to the end result. You can get our gluten-free flour recipe free when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
This is a great easy to make recipe that you can share with others this Christmas.
- 1 ½ cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup organic caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup olive oil (not virgin unless you want a stronger olive flavour)
- 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180c (350 fahrenheit)
- Grease and line the bases of a mini loaf tray (makes 8)
- In a large bowl whisk together sifted flour, sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl whisk together coconut milk, oil, and vinegar.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Fill the mini loaf tins ¾ full of mixture.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes until the loaves bounce back or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out dry.
- Make sure the loaves are completely cool before turning them top side up onto a cooling rack.
Vanilla Bean Tofutti Icing
- ¾ cup dairy free margarine
- ¼ tofutti (dairy free cream cheese)
- 3 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or golden syrup (optional extra)
Note: If you add the maple or golden syrup reduce the vanilla paste or extract to ¼ of a teaspoon.
- Using a stand or hand-held mixer, beat margarine, tofutti, vanilla bean paste/extract and maple or golden syrup (optional) until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add sifted icing sugar until the vanilla icing reaches spreadable consistency.
Serve with fresh berries
If you want more recipes like this check out our cookbook Let Them Eat Good Cake
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and nut free.