The best allergy free home made ice cream ever (well thats what our kids said!)
It’s no secret, we love ice cream. But what do you do when someone in the family has serious food allergies?
- You can buy one of the new allergy free products from the supermarket (although its hard to find ice cream that is dairy, egg, gluten and nut free).
- You can take a trip to the local ice cream store and hope they have a few allergy free flavours. We’ve found a great ice cream shop in the next suburb with 11 flavours that are dairy, egg, gluten and nut free…lucky us!
- Or you can make the best allergy free ice cream at home in just 30 minutes.
We choose numbers 2 and 3. A lot.
So if you do want to make a really good creamy ice cream at home that’s free from dairy, egg, gluten and nuts, try this recipe out. We think you’ll love it. This ice cream took just 30 minutes to make from start to finish. It’s quick, really quite simple and super delicious.
You will need an ice cream maker for this recipe. We have a very cheap ice cream maker form a local department store which does the trick just fine. If you don’t have one at home I encourage you to buy a cheap one and start using it regularly to get you in the habit. It really is a lot of fun. I’m sure you can also use a Thermomix for this recipe if you have one at home.
- 500mls full cream coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 150g silken tofu
- 1/4 cup of cocoa (or cacao)
- 1 heaped tsp of gluten free cornflour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or rapadura)
- 16 fresh raspberries roughly chopped
- 2 pinches of salt
- Mix all the ingredients except for the raspberries in a blender or bench top mixer until it is nice and fluffy.
- Prepare your ice cream machine, turn it on and slowly pour in the mixture.
- Roughly chop the raspberries and add them into the mix while the paddle is churning the ice cream.
- Once the mix is really thick and creamy (about 20 mins on our machine) you can scoop out and serve.
- Freeze the leftovers…if there’s any!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.