This cake brings together three ingredients we absolutely love to use in our baking – lemon, raspberry, and fresh herbs. We know herbs is an unusual addition to baking, but infusing just a small amount of fresh herbs can make your cake really special…and interesting.
Rosemary is one of our favourite go-to herbs and thankfully it compliments lemon perfectly. Of course you can make this cake without rosemary, but we encourage you to give it a whirl. And please make sure you use fresh rosemary, it will give you a fresher flavour than dried herbs.
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour. You can get our gluten-free flour recipe sent to you when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup organic caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup full cream coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh rosemary (to taste)
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF)
- Grease a round deep cake tin (between 18-20cm).
- In a small bowl mix together olive oil and finely chopped fresh rosemary; allow this to sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the rosemary to infuse in the oil.
- Sift gluten free flour, xanthan gum, sugar, bi-carb soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl combine coconut milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and oil/rosemary mix.
- Add wet ingredients to dry (or visa versa) and whisk until smooth. Try not to overmix otherwise the cake will be too starchy.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin, and drop the raspberries evenly over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.