Our first attempt at an allergy-free cheesecake
One of the common treats people with allergies say they miss is a simple cheesecake. For those with only a dairy allergy there are lots of recipes that use cashews and other nuts in the filling, especially in the RAW and Paleo diets. But when you combine dairy with other common food allergies such as nuts and egg, it makes it pretty hard to create a cheesecake that not only looks great but tastes good too. So we thought we’d give it a go and create a cheesecake that is not only dairy free, but also gluten free, egg free and nut free. And we’re pretty happy with out first attempt. It’s really very easy to make, and we’d love for you to give a try as well. We hope you like it.
- 125g crushed biscuit (gluten, dairy, egg, nut free)
- 30g coconut oil
- 500g Tofutti dairy-free cream cheese
- 400ml full cream coconut milk
- 100ml honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 golden kiwi fruit peeled
- 125g fresh raspberries (add more if you want a stronger raspberry flavour)
- 3 tsp gelatin
- 60ml hot water
- 1 Golden Kiwi Fruit for decoration
- Grease a large spring form cake tin
- In a bowl combine crushed biscuit and coconut oil and mix well with your hands
- Press evenly into cake tin. We use the bottom of a large saucepan to press it down and to get it even.
- Place in freezer (or fridge) for 30 mins
- Dissolve gelatin into hot water and mix well with a fork
- Place aside and allow to cool
- Using a blender, mix dairy-free cream cheese, coconut milk, honey, fresh lemon juice, golden kiwi fruit, half the fresh raspberries. Mix well.
- Taste to see if it’s sweet enough for your liking, and if not add more honey (or maple syrup).
- Add gelatin and immediately mix well to avoid it coagulating and forming lumps.
- Pour mix into a bowl and fold in the remainder of the raspberries.
- Carefully pour mix into the cake tin on top of the biscuit base and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving decorate with slices of golden Kiwi Fruit
If you want more recipes like this check out our cookbook Let Them Eat Good Cake