Allergy friendly friands. Is there such a thing?
Friands are cute little cakes which in French means ‘dainty’ or ‘delicate tastes’. They’re usually made with almond flour, egg whites, butter, and powdered sugar and typically have the added flavours of coconut, chocolate, fruit, and nuts.
All our cakes are gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free, so the challenge was how to make an allergy friendly friand without pretty much most of the usual ingredients. We started by adapting our basic cake recipe and adding a dairy free sour cream into the mix. We used Tofutti Sour Supreme which is available at many supermarkets and health food stores. The result was pretty special. They are not as dense as a typical friand, but very friand-esque nonetheless.
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour. You can get our gluten-free flour recipe sent to you when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
Makes 8 large or 12 medium friands
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3/4 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup dairy free sour cream (we use Tofutti Sour Supreme)
- 1 cup full cream coconut milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup halved raspberries
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dairy free white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF).
- Grease a friand baking tray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut milk, sour cream and apple cider vinegar. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, olive oil and vanilla and whisk together until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, xanthan gum, cornflour, bicarb soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry (or vice versa) and whisk together until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped white chocolate. Try not to over-mix otherwise the cake will become too starchy.
- Pour the mixture into the friand tray. Place raspberries and remainder chopped white chocolate on the top of each friand.
- If you are using a tray with a pattern on the bottom, there is no need to place the raspberries and white chocolate on top, as you will flip the cake over to serve.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Wait until the friands cool a little before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
If you want more recipes like this check out our cookbook Let Them Eat Good Cake
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.