Your allergy-free friends are going to love this recipe!
A lot of people believe that allergy free cakes are nowhere near as good as non allergy free cakes. Our goal is to change that perception one piece of seriously good allergy free cake at a time. You can certainly add this one to the list. Who doesn’t love Sticky Date Pudding? And this version, even though it’s gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free it tastes just like Sticky Date Pudding should taste – delicious!
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour which you can get sent to you when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
- 250ml full cream coconut milk
- 100ml water
- 200g dried dates
- 1 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 115g dairy free margarine
- 115g soft brown sugar
- 200g gluten free flour
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g golden syrup
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 150g dairy free margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 180c (350 fahrenheit)
- Chop the dates in half and place in a small saucepan.
- Cover dates with the coconut milk and water and simmer over low heat until dates become soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in the bicarb soda. The mixture will become frothy. Leave it to cool.
- Beat together the margarine and the sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the date mixture to the butter mixture and stir.
- Sift in the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and spices.
- Fold flour mix into the date mixture.
- Pour mixture into individual oven proof ramekins or casserole dishes. (We used 4 11.5cm ramekins.)
- Place the individual ramekins on a tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until pudding bounces back or a toothpick comes out clean.
- Melt the margarine, golden syrup, sugar and vanilla in s small saucepan over low heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes without stirring, but give it an occasional swirl.
- Take it off the heat.
- When the puddings are out of the oven prick them all over the top with a wooden skewer and pour sauce over each one. But leave some sauce for serving.
- Serve warm with sauce poured over the top. You may also want to serve it with whipped coconut cream.
If you want more recipes like this check out our cookbook Let Them Eat Good Cake
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.