A perfect allergy free afternoon tea
I love combining vegetables and fruit in baking. It makes me feel a little better when I eat more that just one.
These delicious sweet potato and date mini loaves have a really nice balance of sweetness and spice. Combined with a tall glass of iced tea, a friend, or a great book, they will make for a perfect summer afternoon tea.
With all of our recipes, we recommend using our gluten-free flour. You can get our gluten-free flour recipe sent to you when you signup to our email list over to the right in the sidebar, or in the footer below if you’re on a mobile.
These mini loaves are really easy to make and are good for most food allergies as they are free from gluten dairy egg soy and nuts.
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup organic sugar (or your sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sweet potato purée
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons full cream coconut milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 medjool dates, chopped
Cardamom and Lemon Icing
- 1 cup soft icing sugar
- 3 cups dairy free margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grease mini loaf pan with olive oil.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the spices.
- In a separate bowl combine the sweet potato purée, coconut milk, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold through the chopped dates.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the mini loaf pan.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean and cakes bounce back to the touch.
- For the icing simply mix all the icing ingredients together
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before icing.
I hope you enjoy baking and eating these as much as we did!
This recipe is gluten free dairy free egg free and nut free